It’s been a weird kind of week…

…from start to finish.  Notable events include:

The door on the driver’s side of my car filled up with water.  No, really!  We were on our way to Tesco’s and heard it sloshing about.  Luckily, my bank account (yep, them again, and they’re really pleased to have me as a customer just lately) includes RAC cover.  After trying to stretch a stroll round Tesco’s out for an hour and a half, the kind RAC man pointed out that all car doors let in water, it’s a deliberate design feature…and doors like those on my car have drainage holes at the bottom to let the water back out!  He used a bit of wire to unblock the holes, the water poured out and we were able to return home.

I saw the doctor-man about a range of small issues, including the never ending indigestion and he thinks I have some kind of bacterial stomach infection thing.  He prescribed me various things and it’s better already 🙂 .  He is also referring me to a private consultant about the irritable bowel diagnosis – my private policy will cover it for initial treatment and future flare-ups, but not long-term monitoring, which is better than nothing.  Unfortunately, the doctor-man also sent me for a blood test.  I say unfortunately because I have very fine, very delicate veins and only the really really expert nurses/doctors/blood test people can ever get my blood.  I saw the phlebotomist at our surgery on Friday morning and she couldn’t get anything at all, even after 3 attempts.  So I have to go back and see a nurse on Monday morning.  What a lovely start to the week!

A is off on his lads’ weekend away, and I’m enjoying the peace and quiet.  It’s wearing off a bit now, but I’m sure I’ll cope.  Last night I went out for dinner with one of my friends.  I don’t see Mrs Jarge (aka Georgina) very often, but we always have so much to say.  We’ve been friends since our very first day at college, aged 16, and kept in touch throughout Uni and all the years in between.  We went to my favourite Italian restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It makes such a nice change to go to a restaurant and be able to take as long as we want – we really didn’t feel rushed at all, even though we sat nattering long after we’d finished.  Mrs J has bought me a raspberry and a gooseberry bush for my birthday, which is so cool.  She has a knack for unusual but really lovely gifts – perhaps I should make her something for Christmas. 

On Weds afternoon a man came round to fix our bedroom window.  It has been whistling like crazy for a while, so after yet another sleepless night I invoked the warranty and had someone come out to fix it.  Apparently it had gaps all the way around – inside and out!  We’d spotted some of the gaps on the inside, but it was much worse from the outside!  At least that is fixed now. 

The rat-man came back on Thurs afternoon, to check on the bait he left.  One dish had been disturbed, there was grain on the floor around it, but none had been eaten.  The other two dishes were untouched.  I haven’t heard the little darling for a while, maybe it gave up and went away (wishful thinking?  Why not!). 

Our monthly organic meat box arrived on Thursday, and as well as the usual selection of sausages, mince, chicken, roasting joints etc, it was packed full of game.  That has never happened before!  There was a partridge, a pheasant, pigeon breasts, two different cuts of venison and a rabbit.  We’ll quite happily find a way to cook all of that, and enjoy trying the things we haven’t had before, but there’s no way we can eat rabbit.  No way.  Luckily my baby brother got excited about it and is happy to take it off our hands.  Here’s a reminder of why rabbit is not on our menu:

Anyway, on to making things…I’ve started a cross-stitch picture for niece Amy:

I haven’t got very far yet, as I’ve been obsessed by this:

That’s Mrs Christmas…with (currently detached) arms and skirt.  Once I have finished and sewn on the skirt, I can add the arms and she’s almost done.  Then she’ll be sent off to my big bro’s family in America, to join her husband who went over last year. 

Also, I made the effort to block Heather’s shawl:


I’m really pleased with it, and so is A.  Hopefully his cousin will like it – she’s one of those rare people who I can actually imagine getting use from a shawl. 

So, that was last week.  This week…I’m now working at least one day a week in Bristol, so that will be Tuesday.  Hopefully I’ll get to knitting in the library on Weds as I’ve missed a couple of weeks.  Blood test on Monday.  Hopefully it’ll be a less bewilderingly stressful week than this one!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: