Saturday again?!

How are these weeks passing so quickly?  I can hardly believe that’s another one gone.  Of course, that’s one more week closer to our cruise, so I’m not really complaining. 

What did I get up to this week?  Not a lot until the end of it, as it was a bad one for pain.  Then it got a bit manic.  I went into the NHS hospital yesterday for an MRI scan and discovered that even when you are a private patient, you still get to wait around for an hour and a half before appointments, when you have to go to an NHS hospital.  Genius!  The MRI itself is a scary scan…in a very small space for what seemed like a very long time, with a lot of very loud noises.  Good thing I’m not claustrophobic.  I have no idea how it went, whether there was anything to see, and I won’t know any more than that until my follow-up appointment in July. 

Getting home from the hospital became very traumatic, as Swindon’s football club were playing a promotion match at home…which is right in the middle of our route home from the hospital.  I wracked my brains for an alternative route, but couldn’t come up with one that didn’t go somewhere near the football ground.  In the end we detoured via Tesco and KFC and took care of dinner on the way. 

On to knitting/cross-stitch news, I finished the card I was making for Jen at work’s wedding:

The people signing it were impressed, I hope Jen likes it too. 

With the card finished I moved back to Dinosaur Island (now there’s an odd statement, if taken out of context):

The background trees are now done, and that’s a nearly-complete dinosaur at the bottom.  It looks like I’ve misjudged the size of the fabric for this picture, so it’ll take some careful framing, but I’m sure I’ll cope. 

The travel socks, which have come to resemble liquorice allsorts, at least in my head, are now more than half done…in fact, here is the first half:

I got a little carried away on the train to Bristol on Thursday morning, and ended up making the foot about 2 inches too long…then spent lunchtime ripping back to the required length and decreasing the toe.  I’ve started sock 2, it shouldn’t take long. 

For this pair, I’ve experimented with a way to reinforce the fabric under the heel.  Most hand-knitted sock patterns include a reinforced heel flap, at the back of the heel.  This is where socks rub and cause wear.  I am very heavy on my heels though, and have worn through several pairs of hand-knit socks in the last few months (plus countless shop-bought ones).  It’s almost tragic when it takes that many hours to make a pair and I can wear them out in weeks! 

For this pair, I’ve continued the heel-flap pattern throughout the heel turn and gusset decreases.  We’ll see if it works. 

This coming week…I don’t think there’s much planned.  Our niece is coming to stay next Saturday night.  I’ve got the usual 2 Bristol days in the week.  Oh yes, and we’re thinking of winning millions in one of this week’s lottery draws 😉


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: