Designing my own…

This week has been a weird one.  I wonder how many times I’ve started a post with that statement?  Probably best not to count! 

I haven’t recovered as well as I’d hoped from the last round of day surgery, in fact I’m still struggling slightly with a bad bout of IBS, but that’s almost under control.  I ended up having another two days off work sick though, which is not good. 

Apart from the dull health stuff though, this week has been mainly about crafts.  I’ve made a card for when Chloe at work goes off on maternity leave:

That is now doing the rounds at work, collecting signatures and money to buy presents. 

I made it to Knitting in the Library, which was good. 

And I’ve been bitten by a bizarre ‘design it myself’ bug.  I’ve felt particularly inspired to design my own stuff, there are just so many lovely patterns out there, what could I possibly contribute that would be new or original?  I have played with cross-stitch design, but usually only to the extent that I take small elements of other designs and arrange them into a complete end product.  Or printing an existing picture onto graph paper and converting it to squares for stitching – that’s easy stuff.  If I could draw, it would be a whole different story, but there’s no use wishing for the moon. 

Knitting-wise, I’ve spent many hours on Ravelry, exploring the many thousands of patterns available – loads of them for free.  I’ve bought a few magazines and a few books.  I’ve improvised a few sock patterns.  But while I feel the need to produce, I don’t feel inspired to create.  Usually. 

This week however I have started and re-started the same two projects at least four times each…and I will figure them out eventually! 

Firstly, these are my mittens:

The first picture is the back, the second one the front, including thumb hole.  I’m not entirely happy about the placement of the thumb, or the method I’ve used to create/separate it.  I think it’s too high up on the hand, but I’ve never made mittens this shape/style before so I’m uncertain where it should go.  I’m planning to rip back as far as the thumb anyway so I’ll give it more thought at that stage.  I have already changed yarn completely, changed needle size a couple of times and amended the stitch count at least once. 

In the process of knitting this mitten I have also learned a new technique – I can now knit continental style.  This makes managing the two colours very much easier, neater and (now I’ve got the hang of it) quicker. 

My second creation is a complete re-make of my sunshine socks.  I got almost to the end of the first sock and realised I hated the combination of pattern and yarn.  The sock felt stiff and scratchy and didn’t look as I expected.  So I frogged the whole thing and thought about what I really wanted…which it turns out is cables.  Small, repetitive cables. 

Progress so far is like this:

The vision I have is for three narrow cables to run down each side of the sock, with plain knitting at the front and back.  Where the cables meet the heel, one will stop, the middle one will continue down the side of the heel flap and the third will continue down the top of the foot. 

So far I only have the cuff, thanks to several re-starts.  I am also knitting these continental-style, to get the practice. 

So, this coming week:

  • Bristol twice as usual
  • Hospital appointment to discuss test results and op dates
  • Baby brother and Mum’s birthdays
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: