So, it’s all over.  My op went ahead as planned in early January and now, not quite six weeks later, I’m well on the way to full recovery.

I won’t lie, the first week in hospital was thoroughly miserable.  I felt very poorly, with lots of pain at times.  I was very sick as a result of the anaesthetic and the painkillers, and that lasted most of that week.  It was difficult to move, impossible to sleep but hard to stay awake and generally uncomfortable.  My hero of a husband caught the train to Oxford every single day and turned up with a big bag of treats to try to tempt me into eating.  All I wanted was fresh fruit, not a bad thing to crave if it’s the only thing you’re eating.  Apart from the fruit, all I really ate was tiny bites of Danish pastry. 

Although the journey home was traumatic (just think about where a seatbelt crosses your body…I had wounds pretty much everywhere it touched), I started feeling better as soon as I walked through the door.  I believe it has been said before – there’s no place like home!

My first meal at home was pie and chips from the local chip shop, and I’ve never eaten anything so delicious. Although I couldn’t eat much of it, I knew that I’d start to feel better from then on. 

Since that has just been a slow plod towards being really well again.  Milestones include having the remaining drains and dressings removed, being able to walk into town for lunch, having a shower then getting dried and dressed without having to lay down and rest in between, visiting the office to catch up with my friends and colleagues, going for a walk in the park without feeling exhausted.

My targets for the next few weeks are:

  • Starting the couch-to-5k training programme so I’ll be able to run again
  • Driving
  • Walking the dog
  • Returning to work
  • Catching a train to Bath for a bra fitting in the big M&S

The return to work plan is a four week phased return, starting very slowly and building up until I’m there full time again. I think I’ll be capable of starting it by early March, which is four weeks sooner than predicted.

I’ve been able to start studying again now, just an hour or so at a time, slow and steady.  The good news is that I passed my December exam…but the bad news is I’m already two months behind on the next few modules.  Never mind, I’ll catch it up. 

So for now…study, television, knitting, cross-stitch…and longer walks each day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: